5.15.2012

Stripes going every which way

I have a love affair with stripes but whenever I am looking at clothing brought in for consignment I find that stripes are one of the hardest things to look at. I am trying to see if I find any spots or stains and my eyes go all wonky.
Stripes can be your friend and they can also be your enemy. The line directs the eye so whenever someone looks at you they automatically go in the direction of the line. It has always puzzled me why they make larger women's clothing with broad horizontal stripes. It just seems crazy and I really don't get it.


You can direct those lines diagonally, vertically or in a mix that will enhance your figure to be more flattering. If you have slight shoulders a slash neckline with a broad stripe accenting your shoulders makes the illusion that you are broader on top then you really are. Stripes are a play on proportion; they can work for you and be really flattering and fun. You must be conscious of what all those lines are doing for or against you.
"Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions" - Coco Chanel.

Shoe size 8 1/2 red, white, black by Donald Pliner;
Skirt  size 6 - red, beige by Etcetera;
Skirt size 6 - blue, white, pink skulls by Castaway;
Blouse size xs - blue, silver, black  by BCBG;
Purse - black, beige by Eric Javits;
Slacks size 4- yellow, white by Worth.

No comments: